Don’t Click the link – Delete Straight away. Revenue do not send out these types of emails. If you are due a refund you will receive a letter in the post.
How do I know for sure ?
- The email address : Although it might say “Irish Tax & Customs” the actual address is odd looking (email@example.com)
- Revenue Don’t Email Tax Refunds (sorry to repeat myself)
- Badly written Email: There is a Spelling mistake in the Email (aligible) and the email is written like a non native speaker. Even the placement of the € symbol appears after the quantity – which is typical for Mainland Europe but not Ireland.
- When you click on the link it leads to a form where you enter very sensitive financial information. And thats what the scam is all about.
- Revenue has posted a warning about the Email on their site : http://www.revenue.ie/en/spotlights/email-scam.html
If you’re reading this you’re probably suspect something and just double checking, which is why I wrote this post – Now you can feel free to Delete the email and move on with your day :).
Scam Email Text below:
After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we determined that you are aligible to receive a tax refund of 469.00 €
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 10-14 days in order to process it.
To access your tax refund, visit this link and follow the steps required.
Contact: Catherine Kelly
Screen shot of Email